Sunday, April 9, 2017

Entertainment or Sport?

I had some interesting banter with Kodiak that highlights the issue of whether we are in the entertainment business or a sport.  He is hosting an event this weekend called the World Fastest Professional Gunfighters.  I wish him and his organization well and hope they have great success. He asks whether I would prefer to watch Carl Lewis or some jogger. Of course, the answer is neither.

If you want to participate in the entertainment business that is world class long distance running you must be born in East Africa and not just anywhere in East Africa but to a certain specific tribe in East Africa. The Sports Gene. That entertainment venue is limited to a very few individuals of specific genes.  However, thousand participate in the sport of long distance running, from the 15 minute miler to the 4 minute miler.

A sport is a character building activity.  It is where one struggles against adversity and in the process gets stronger physically, mentally and in character.


CFDA is a sport, not an entertainment venue. Entertainment venues will be limited to very few participants. Sports are for those who want to participate and not just watch. You have to have the courage to compete. I hope that all that speed in Reno stay in our sport because we are better for it.  Unfortunately, I know that some will not, for whatever reason.

Can't help myself. Come shoot with me, I am not that tough!

 

1 comment:

  1. I agree and disagree and I think Kodiak meant this much different than it was put out in this story...What Kodiak meant was it doesn’t take much talent or physical ability to shoot fours and fives and hit the target 80% of the time what does take physical ability and talent is to shoot faster than a .370 and hit the target 80% of the time.. football is a sport regardless of rather your in the NFL or just play for fun that being said not everyone is welcome in the NFL and I feel that the WFPG is just that, an elite group of people who want to push the boundaries of what’s possible.... there’s nothing wrong with the CFDA at all it’s a recreational sport just like I recreationally play football and baseball and boxing but the WFPG is for that next level of shooter not to mention it’s a blast to watch!! Kodiak is a smart man sounds like to me

    ReplyDelete