Friday, August 16, 2019

Butt in the Pocket

After enduring years of verbal harassment from my good friend and training partner about that silly rule I have embarked upon a training program to put the butt in the pocket.  I figure if I am putting the butt of the gun in the pocket of the holster when I fire all that frivolous noise about that silly rule will go away.  So I am doing at least 20 draws a day in front of a mirror attempting to move my anchor point. Will see how it goes.

What prompted this was an incident wherein my good friend and training partner produced a photo from the Mag 7 at the springs. My reaction was, "Boy, that draw is perfect."  He was blabbering about the silly rule and even drawing lines. I had to seek counsel from the best Range Master in CFDA who recited that it must be "clearly obvious."  To which he, training partner, produced a magnifying glass and I retorted "if you have to get a  magnifying glass it is not clearly obvious." See what goes on on Shady Mountain.

I like that photo so much I am having it printed on a T-shirt with the rest of the story, which I embellish every time I tell it. I like the photo, in part, because the opponent is clearly shooting  the flail and is the author of the silly rule.  I hope my t-shirt comes today.  Training tomorrow.  Bring me another shooter. Really like shooting against the flail.  Got to go. Putting 20 butts in the pocket this morning.

6 comments:

  1. Well, 1) Photo or video evidence is not allowed in the CFDA. One of my favorites is from Amarillo this year that clearly shows a much maligned behind shooter clearly behind, but the beginning of the smoke trail from when the shot was fired clearly in front. Is follow through flailing? 2) I did not see Kemosabe at Pagosa this year. Guess I wasn't paying attention. As for butt in the pocket, I usually bang up my pinkie doing that and loose concentration due to pain. After I see your technique we can discuss it further---if you want to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Used that line too. Look where my smoke trail starts. Good.

      Delete
  2. I see lines being drawn on t-shirt for the world to see or at least for anyone that cares, rules are rules.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bring glass. They say the quality of a hunter is directly relayed to the quality of his glass.

      Delete
    2. Now know training partner has changed his draw to put the "butt in the pocket". He has gained about 20 mls while i have lost some i think. Life is getting tougher. Yesterday we were 2 to 2, all in the 3s, final shot of match was .379 to .376. Lost but it was fun. Put "the butt in the pocket."

      Delete
  3. Partner uses more arm in his draw, you use more body. He does not have to change direction and add motion for pocket butt, you do.

    ReplyDelete